Winter Fire Safety Tips

As we near the close of 2012, KEVTA wishes all of our customers, suppliers, friends and family a happy holiday season. The following are some tips related heating to help make sure your holiday season is safe as well. Heating equipment was involved in an estimated 57,100 reported home structure fires in the last 12 months, resulting in 490 civilian deaths, 1,530 civilian injuries, and $1.1 billion in direct property damage. As one would expect, more than half of heating fires occur during the months of December, January and February.

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions. This should be done every 12 months.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Install and maintain CO alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.
  • If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not light the appliance. Leave the home immediately and call your local fire department or gas company.
  • Test smoke alarms monthly.
  • Install wood burning stoves following manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do the installation. All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
  • Install and maintain CO alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning. If you smell gas in your gas heater, do do not light the appliance. Leave the home immediately and call your local fire department or gas company.