Happy & Safe New Year
Getting ready to do some holiday entertaining at home or headed out to a club to ring in the new year? While winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together, there is a greater risk of fire. Following these few simple tips from NFPA will ensure a truly happy and fire-safe New Year celebration.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Provide deep ashtrays and wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
Nightclubs and other public assembly buildings
- Have a communication plan. Identify a relative or friend to contact in case of emergency.
- Pick a meeting place outside to meet family or friends if there is an emergency.
- Look for all available exits and be prepared to use the closest one.
- Note potential fire sources such as candles burning, cigarettes or cigars burning, pyrotechnics, or other heat sources.
- If an alarm sounds, you see smoke or fire, or other unusual disturbance, exit the building immediately.
- Once you are out, stay out. Under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning building. Let trained firefighters conduct rescue operation
- If you want to ring in the new year with fireworks, the safest way is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
- Do not use consumer fireworks. In 2009, U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 8,800 people for fireworks-related injuries.
- After the fireworks display, don’t let children near any fireworks that are left over; they may still be active.
“Gov’t furious over Formosa plant fire” shouts a headline in theMarch 28, 2013 read more
Oil refineries and other large industrial operations may face steMarch 1, 2013 read more
HALIFAX — An investigation has been launched into an electrical fFebruary 20, 2013 read more
When we consider fire safety codes, ordinances, standards, and siFebruary 19, 2013 read more
KIEV -- Ukraine and Shell will sign a landmark multibillion-dollaJanuary 28, 2013 read more
This article was originally published in Turbomachinery InternatiJanuary 18, 2013 read more
As we near the close of 2012, KEVTA wishes all of our customers,December 21, 2012 read more
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) has concluded an agreemenDecember 18, 2012 read more
In late September, Mexican State owned oil company PEMEX reportedDecember 17, 2012 read more
The past 12 months have seen continuing instability in the MiddleDecember 4, 2012 read more
Following the November 16 fire on the Black Elk Energy-operated WNovember 30, 2012 read more
Originally published by Turbomachinery International, the articleSeptember 11, 2012 read more
Investment groups that bought BP shares on the London Stock ExchaSeptember 7, 2012 read more
Four workers were injured in a fire at the refinery in the northeSeptember 4, 2012 read more
A blaze at Venezuela’s largest refinery spread to a third storageAugust 28, 2012 read more
Japan's top oil refiner JX Nippon Oil & Energy said one of thAugust 23, 2012 read more
A fire was extinguished Tuesday evening aboard a platform workingAugust 22, 2012 read more
ONGC reports a major new oil discovery offshore western India.August 21, 2012 read more
An explosion on August 2nd inside the Co-Generation Plant at theAugust 12, 2012 read more
GE announced recently that it will reorganize its Energy businessJuly 26, 2012 read more
The turbine and turbine generator sets market is set to reach a wJune 28, 2012 read more
United Technologies Corp is looking to sell power generation asseJune 21, 2012 read more
A fire broke out in a generator on the offshore oil production SeMay 29, 2012 read more
Firefighters were called to a fire at the Hinkley Point B nuclearMay 21, 2012 read more
Join KEVTA Fire Systems, a unique combination of people and technMay 16, 2012 read more
Two recent incidents could hurt Danish wind turbine manufacturerApril 13, 2012 read more
France's Total sent fire-fighting ships close to the scene of a gApril 4, 2012 read more
Sadly, Nicolas Cuevas, one of three contract workers injured in aMarch 15, 2012 read more
Pratt & Whitney Power Systems recently announced the developmMarch 12, 2012 read more
Moody's Investors Service cut its rating outlook for United TechnMarch 9, 2012 read more
The manager of BP's Cherry Point refinery says a fire earlier thiFebruary 28, 2012 read more
State safety inspectors are investigating the cause of a dramaticFebruary 20, 2012 read more
Earlier this month, Royal Dutch Shell Plc, as part of its earningFebruary 17, 2012 read more
After 12 years working for the Tesoro refinery in Anacortes, CoryFebruary 16, 2012 read more
Authorities are investigating what caused a wind turbine to catchFebruary 2, 2012 read more
Late in 2011, a gas turbine at a Shoreham National Grid facilityFebruary 1, 2012 read more
Two workers are being treated for serious injuries following anJanuary 31, 2012 read more
Chevron Corp. doesn’t expect to put out a fire that started lastJanuary 27, 2012 read more
A spokesperson for Pasadena Refining System has issued an updatedJanuary 26, 2012 read more